I spend a lot of time writing and thinking about Jia Pingwa's 1990s novels, Chu T'ien-wen, and radical politics online (right wing populism and Left Maoism). More generally, I'm interested in contemporary literature, urban politics, the Chinese New Left, fashion, and organized crime.
I translate Chinese literary fiction into English mostly, but I've ended up doing everything from science-fiction to CEO autobiographies.
Please email me.
Some of what I've translated:
- Vessel, a translation of Pinang《皮囊》by Cai Chongda 蔡崇达 (forthcoming from HarperCollins, July 2021).
- Shaanxi Opera, a translation of Qinqiang《秦腔》by Jia Pingwa 贾平凹, for Chinese Literature Today (6:1, 29-37) (excerpt), Ugly Stone (excerpt), and, a translation of the complete novel with Nicky Harman (forthcoming from AmazonCrossing, 2021).
- "Drinking" by Jia Pingwa (ricepaper, 2017).
- Record of Regret, a translation of Houhuilu《后悔录》by Dong Xi 东西 (University of Oklahoma Press, 2017).
- Life without Language, a translation of Meiyou Yuyan de Shenghuo《没有语言的生活》by Dong Xi (Chinese Literature Today, 6:2, 76-90, 2017).
- "The Stylistic Genes and Spiritual Pedigree of Dong Xi’s Fiction," by Hao Liang (Chinese Literature Today, 6:2, 91-94).
- "Reckless Writing Is the Best Writing: An Interview with Dong Xi" (Chinese Literature Today, 6:2, 64-75).
- "Why Don't I Have a Mistress?" by Dong Xi (Chinese Literature Today, 4:2, 28-41).
- "The Empire of the Golden Triangle," Palladium, March 2022.
- "The quintessential Chinese rifle prepares for retirement," SupChina, March 2022.
- "The Role of the Author in China," Hopscotch, March 2022.
- "In the China-Laos Railway, Beijing reveals its designs for Southeast Asia," SupChina, January 2022.
- "Er Housheng, who had his eyes gouged out, dies at 58," SupChina, November 2021.
- "The Second Death of Jiao Yulu ," Palladium, November 2021.
- "China’s war on effeminate men," The Spectator World / The Spectator, September 2021.
- "Japan’s New Aoyama Clan," Palladium, September 2021.
- "The man behind Xi Jinping," The Spectator World / The Spectator, July 2021.
- "Ketamine and the Return of the Party-State," Palladium, June 2021.
- "China's Exit to Year Zero," Palladium, April 2021.
- "What’s Going Wrong with Chinese Literature in Translation?" Radii, October 2020.
- "China’s Dirty Web," SupChina, November 2019.
- "Jia Pingwa's Hometown," Los Angeles Review of Books China Channel, October 2019.
- "'Broken Wings': Jia Pingwa’s Controversial Novel Explores Human Trafficking And Rural China," SupChina, July 2019.
- "Socialist Literature for the Capitalist Era: Empires of Dust by Jiang Zilong," Los Angeles Review of Books China Channel, May 2019.
- "Entering Qin: a few days with Jia Pingwa in Shaanxi," Paper Republic, 2019.
- "China’s Intellectual Dark Web And Its Most Active Fanatic," SupChina, April 2019.
- "Police and Thieves: Liang Xiaosheng’s untranslated masterwork Floating City," Los Angeles Review of Books China Channel, August 2018.
- "Jordan Peterson and China's 'White Left'," SupChina, April 2018.
- "Ghosts of the Eastern Capital: Trawling Chinese Bookstores in Tokyo," Los Angeles Review of Books China Channel, August 2018.
- "Black cell: Life in a Chinese detention centre," the Anthill, 2016.
- "Chinese Cigarettes and Three Moments from or Related to Guangzhou and the Act of Running Away from Commitments and Everyday Life (2013 and 2014)," Loreli, 2016.
- Interview with Dylan Levi King, Translated Chinese Fiction Podcast.
- Record of Regret: An Interview with Dylan Levi King, Chinese Literature Podcast.
- "Introducing: Dylan Levi King, Pt. 2," Loreli, 2016.